National Accessibility Evaluation
Andrew Owen, Director, Accessibility Observatory, Civil, Environmental and Geo-Engineering
- David Levinson, Professor, Civil, Environmental and Geo-Engineering
- Arlene Mathison, Director, Digital Info & Lib. Svcs., Center for Transportation Studies
This project has two main objectives. First, it is creating a new, national Census block-level accessibility dataset that can be used by partners in local transportation system evaluation, performance management, planning, and research efforts. Second, it is producing and publishing a series of annual reports describing accessibility to jobs by driving and by transit in metropolitan areas across America.
- Accessibility Dataset
This project is creating a national Census-block level dataset describing accessibility to jobs from locations across the country, updated annually. Accessibility calculations rely on detailed travel-time calculations for both driving and transit, which are implemented using commercially available, GPS-based speed measurements and published transit schedules. Each Access Across America partner has direct digital access to the accessibility datasets covering the jurisdictions of all partners. The data is formatted such that the dataset can be easily accessed using popular software available on office computers.
- Annual Report
The annual Access Across America report provides summaries of the detailed accessibility datasets for the 50 largest metropolitan areas across America. This report is provided to national and local media outlets and supported by publicity and communications efforts. Partners are recognized in the report for their sponsorship and support.
- Start date: 07/2015
- Project Status: Active
- Research Area: Planning and Economy
- Topics: Economics, Environment
Reports or Products:
- Access Across America: Auto 2015 (2016)
- Access Across America: Transit 2015 (2016)
- Access Across America: Transit 2015 Methodology (2016)
- Access Across America: Transit 2016 (2017)
- Access Across America: Transit 2016 Methodology (2017)
- Access Across America: Auto 2016 (2018)
- Access Across America: Transit 2017 (2018)
- Access Across America: Transit 2017 Methodology (2018)