Do you like solving puzzles and problems? Do you get excited about the latest technology? Are you interested in learning about science, engineering, and transportation? Then the National Summer Transportation Institute may be for you!
This free two-week summer day camp at the University of Minnesota will introduce you to the many aspects of the transportation field. You’ll go on field trips around the Twin Cities, participate in hands-on lab activities, and learn from experts about what it’s like to work in transportation.
At this camp, you will:
- Learn how different parts of the transportation system work together to keep you (and the things you buy) moving in cars, trucks, planes, and boats in Minnesota and beyond
- Take a spin in a driving simulator and learn how it’s used to make our roads safer
- Imagine and plan what you think transportation will look like in the future
Video featuring 2015 camp participants
- Go behind the scenes on exciting field trips to places like the Minneapolis–St. Paul Airport, St. Paul Port Authority, Metro Transit, UPS, and more
- Tour the University of Minnesota campus and get a feel for college life
The camp is open to students that meet the following criteria:
- Are entering grades 7–9
- Have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Have completed or be qualified to enroll in pre-algebra
- Have an interest in engineering, science, transportation, or technology-related careers
Check back in late 2015 for information about the 2016 program.
2015 Participant Testimonials
"I really enjoyed using the driving simulators [at the UPS Road Code facility]. It was a hands-on experience that truly taught me the dangers of texting while driving and how much harder it really is."
"My favorite part of the program were the field trips because they heped me learn facts/cool things in the transportation industry."
"I enjoyed touring the [U of M] campus and seeing what life is like for students on campus."
"Getting to see the control room where [Metro Transit] views the light-rail system was amazing to me."
"I learned a lot and had lots of fun during the camp. It was like a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity."
"One of the best camps we have ever experienced! There was always a plan for college and this increased enthusiasm, preparedness, and maturity."
"[This program] has opened up my daughter's horizon for future career choices and major focus areas after high school."
"We absolutely loved having our son participate in this camp. It was very well organized, and we were impressed by how much he learned from visiting all of the transportation places."
“What a wonderful experience this camp was for my son. He was inspired...He learned about all kinds of traffic laws and data...and I now have a new back-seat driver.”